- Canopy Stage, Nanyang Technological University
- Canopy Stage, Nanyang Technological University
Japanese Cultural Festival 2019
Nanyang Technological University
76 Nanyang Dr, Singapore 637331
Monday, February 18 2019
10:00 am – 7:00 pm
NTU Japanese Appreciation Club
Stage events, merchandise, games, exhibitions
*Event is free of charge and open to public
Tower Knocking Game
Momotaro’s (Peach Boy) village has been attacked by monsters during his absence! Join him in his journey to Oni Island to reclaim the stolen loot and save the kidnapped child from the monsters. Tell his tale through a game of Daruma Otoshi, a twist to a traditional Japanese game where boxes are stacked upon each other to form a tower, remove the bottom most box using a mallet without collasping the entire structure!
As a wandering traveller, you came across Momotaro and his companions who were on the way to Oni Island. You offered your help and travelled with them. The gates to the monsters’ stronghold is heavily guarded and Momotaro is having difficulties breaching their defenses. You hid in the adjacent forest and took aim with your rifle/bow/gun, the Abyss. Flaunt your marksmanship, silence the enemies and help Momotaro in breaching the enemies’ stronghold! Collect spoils from the enemies you take down!
Traditional Japanese Card Game
Hanafuda is a traditional japanese card game developed over the course of a long history of card games, influenced by both western and japanese cultures. Its cards beautifully depicts japanese styled artwork featuring the months observed in a year. The objective of Hanafuda is to win the most points among the players. Visit the Hanafuda booth to learn this traditional japanese game!
Lucky Draw & Original JAC Goods
Drop by the booth to participate in the sure-win lucky draw! Make sure to check out JAC’s exclusive merchandises as well. Designed by our very own JAC members, expect adorable merchandise such as keychains, T-shirts and stickers, featuring Japan’s favourite dog, Shiba Inu! Don’t leave empty handed!
Visit the NTU Sado Club’s booth to learn more about traditional Japanese tea ceremonies, its significance to the Japanese culture and the principles that the ceremony embodies. A full demonstration will also be featured during the event itself, so head on down, don’t miss it!
BooksActually will be featuring Japanese themed books written by local writers. Drop by to purchase your copy with us!
A showcase of pop art merchandise from the SUTD Modern Visual Media Circle. Their merchandise such as keychains and posters will be available for sale. Don’t miss out!
A showcase of Japanese crafts merchandise from NUS Japanese Studies Society. Their merchandise such as paper crafts will be available for sale. Don’t miss out!
An organization aimed at promoting Hokkaido to the ASEAN region. Their booth will be here to share information about all things Hokkaido, from food to tourism. Stand a chance to win some prizes at their lucky draw too!
A photo exhibition booth showcasing photos that the JENESYS team took on their trip to Japan, specifically Miyazaki. Learn more about the attractions and culture of this amazing prefecture!
Want to learn Japanese dialect? Drop by Good Job Creations’ booth to take a quick lesson on Kansai-ben (Kansai dialect) and win some prizes!
Head over to our free photo booth to take a photo in a Japanese scene while donning a yukata, a traditional Japanese clothing.
Your photo will be printed for free!
HATTENDO Café is well-known for their amazing Japanese cream buns both in Japan and in Singapore. Here’s your chance to try them in school!
10:30 am – 11:00 am
01:00 pm – 01:30 pm
01:30 pm – 02:00 pm
“I Want To Go Home” and “Rainbirds” Novels set in Japan Talk by Wesley Aroozoo and Clarissa Goenawan
03:00 pm – 03:30 pm
*Schedule is subject to change
JAC Original Merchandise
■ Price List
1 for $0.20
5 for $0.50
1 for $4.00
3 for $10.00
$12 for JAC members
Sure-win Lucky Draw Campaign
Claim your JAPAN RAIL CAFÉ free drinks coupon* and stand to win prizes such as $30 Keisuke restaurant vouchers, t-shirts and stickers by simply participating in our stamp rally challenge!
■ How to Participate
1. Collect your free stamp rally coupon at B01 Japanese Appreciation Club booth and follow the coupon’s instructions to complete the stamp rally challenge.
2. Submit the completed coupon to B01 Japanese Appreciation Club booth.
*While stocks last
Getting to JCF
- By Public Transport
- Board bus 179 at Boon Lay Bus Interchange (Jurong Point level 1).
- Alight at the fourth bus stop (Lee Wee Nam Library, bus stop no. 27211) after bus turn into NTU.
- Walk up the stairs and turn left. Canopy Stage will be a 1-minute walk from the bus stop.
- Board bus 199 at Boon Lay Bus Interchange (Jurong Point level 1).
- Alight at the fifth bus stop (NIE, bus stop no. 27051) after bus turn into NTU.
- Walk up the stairs and turn left. Walk all the way for 3-minutes till you reach Canopy Stage.
- Board campus rider at Pioneer MRT exit B (near Blk 649A).
- Alight at the fourth bus stop near Tan Chin Tuan Lecture Theatre (TCT LT).
- From the bus stop, walk towards the sheltered passageway, turn right and walk straight in till you see K-cuts and Mr. Bean. Follow the video below for reference.
Park your car at the following car parks and walk to Canopy Stage at NTU North Spine Plaza.
- North Spine Carpark A
- NIE Carpark 2
- Multi-storey Carpark Near Building N2